How to Make an LED Scrolling Display Board: Step-by-Step Guide
LED scrolling display boards are versatile devices widely used for information dissemination in various settings. These eye-catching displays can be found in public places, sports arenas, transportation hubs, and even at homes and offices. In this article, we will guide you through the process of creating your own LED scrolling display board, allowing you to customize and control the content you showcase. Let's get started!
Before we begin, gather the following materials:
1. Arduino Uno board
2. LED dot matrix module (with MAX7219 chip)
3. Jumper wires
5. USB cable
6. Computer with Arduino IDE software installed
7. Acrylic or wooden board
8. Screws and standoffs
9. Power supply (5V)
Subsection 1: Setting Up Arduino IDE
To make the LED scrolling display board, we will be programming an Arduino Uno board. Follow these steps to set up the required software:
1. Download and install the Arduino IDE software from the official website.
2. Connect the Arduino Uno board to your computer using the USB cable.
3. Open the Arduino IDE software and configure the settings for the connected board by selecting the appropriate board and port from the Tools menu.
Subsection 2: Wiring the LED Dot Matrix Module
Now that the software is ready, let's continue by wiring the LED dot matrix module to the Arduino Uno board:
1. Place the LED dot matrix module on the breadboard.
2. Connect the VCC pin of the LED dot matrix module to the 5V pin on the Arduino Uno board.
3. Connect the GND pin of the LED dot matrix module to the GND pin on the Arduino Uno board.
4. Connect the DIN pin of the LED dot matrix module to digital pin 7 on the Arduino Uno board.
5. Connect the CS pin of the LED dot matrix module to digital pin 6 on the Arduino Uno board.
6. Connect the CLK pin of the LED dot matrix module to digital pin 5 on the Arduino Uno board.
Subsection 3: Writing the Code
Now it's time to write the code that will control the LED scrolling display board:
1. Open a new sketch in the Arduino IDE software.
2. Copy and paste the LED scrolling display board code from an online source or create your own using the MAX7219 library.
3. Customize the code to display the desired text, symbols, and animations on the LED dot matrix module.
4. Ensure that the code includes instructions for scrolling and pausing the content based on your preferences.
5. Verify and upload the code to the Arduino Uno board.
Subsection 4: Building the Display Board
With the hardware and software setup complete, let's move on to building the LED scrolling display board:
1. Take the acrylic or wooden board and mark the positions for attaching the LED dot matrix module and Arduino Uno board.
2. Drill holes in the marked positions and secure the LED dot matrix module and Arduino Uno board using screws and standoffs.
3. Ensure that the wiring remains intact and the components are firmly attached to the board.
Subsection 5: Powering the Display Board
To power the LED scrolling display board, follow these steps:
1. Connect the power supply (5V) to the Arduino Uno board.
2. Plug the power supply into a socket and switch it on.
3. The LED scrolling display board should light up, and the programmed content should start scrolling across the dot matrix.
Congratulations! You have successfully created your own LED scrolling display board. This versatile device will enable you to showcase custom messages and information in a captivating manner. Whether you want to display announcements, promotions, or even personal messages, your LED scrolling display board can be easily programmed to suit your needs. Explore different designs and experiment with various animations to make your display even more engaging. Happy scrolling!.